Thank you for your interest in an IBEA scholarship.The Lawrence-Simon Scholarship was established to honor the legacy of two Charter members of the Fort Bend County Chapter of the Links, Incorporated. The scholarship will be awarded to a deserving Fort Bend County student.
Shyrl Lawrence was one of the founding members of The Southwestern Ladies of Equipoise which later became the Fort Bend County Links, Incorporated. Shryl served as the first Financial Secretary of The Fort Bend County Chapter of The Links, Incorporated. She was a public relation/advertising entrepreneur and co-published an anti-drug book. She held two Bachelor of Science degrees in broadcast journalism and nursing. Her affiliates included Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated and the NAACP. She was a media consultant for Wood's Club, a character development program for youth using golf as a motivation. She was married to Don Lawrence, a talented artist who designed the Pillar of Friendship theme for the Chartering Ceremony. Don has partnered with the Fort Bend County Chapter on many project including the reception for Air Force Lieutenant Colonel and former Tuskegee Airman Alexander Jefferson where Don presented him with one of his original art pieces.
Sara Simon was a Charter member of the Fort Bend County chapter and served as national Trends Committee Chair. She was a psychotherapist in private practice in Sugar Land. Her community involvement included Jack and Jill of America, Incorporated and Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. She believed that children are the future and participated in various civic endeavors toward their enhancement as well as the community. Sara was affiliated with The National Black Child Development Institute, Harris County Child Abuse Task Force, Fort Bend County Children's Protective Services and Habitat for Humanity. She was honored as YWCA Woman of the Year in 1985. She was married to Peter Simon and had a son, Brian Simon.
- Must be a resident of Fort Bend County and attend a High School in Fort Bend County.
- Must be accepted into an institution of higher learning as a full time student before the scholarship is released.
- Must have a 3.0 cumulative high school grade point average.
- Must submit three (3) letters of recommendation; one letter from your high school and two letters from individuals you interact with in the community.
- Complete typed application.
- Submit an official transcript in a sealed envelope.
- Scholarship applicants must attend one session sponsored by the Fort Bend County Chapter of The Links, Incorporated.
The Lawrence-Simon Scholarship application deadline ended on April 28, 2017.
The 2017 application will post in December.